Thursday, April 13, 2006

KPFA and my sense of the 'news'

While I was driving over to Berkeley today, I should have been listening to KPFA. My new car cd player defaults to the radio, and
so I do tend to listen to it more than I usually might. I find KPFA's perspective to be very close to my own, so I don't have to
bother my mind and emotions by listening to a radio show I don't agree with or makes me uneasy.

Tonight I finished 'Stolen Kisses' (;'Baisers voles'). I watched it in three or four different segments. The film is episodic somewhat and in many ways brilliant. Relationships are once again features. I love French films for this reason: most of it still
is a kind of realism that has philosophical overtones. One can't forget that 'Stolen Kisses' was made in 1968. Truffaut is not
widely held as a policial/socio-economic/community-spirited type of artist. But there is social commentary along with the fact
that the bosses wife gets her way and sleeps with him--once. He moves on/back to the girlfriend he has had since the beginning. In having watched Truffaut's 'The English Girls' I would say he has certain ideas about beauty that are not hard to
miss. Perhaps his political stance has something to do with his predictable choice of feminine beauty representatives: Michelangelos's Venus pops out of her shell at me.

I also worked at my friend's shop for the Internet on getting images of the brain, eyes, mouth, cerebral palsy, autism, etc. These pictures will be part of my contribution to a bulletin board in the hallway of the school. I decided not to dumb down to the students but really give the older ones somthing to think about.

I should be on vacation somewhere in Asia. Instead I am working! Still I'm enjoying have the emotional and spiritual space to create new things in my life.

No comments: