Sunday, April 09, 2006

Amma's Ashram in San Ramon.

There are twisting-turny roads to get there. Many ranches lie on one side of the highway. The other side may be dotted with
sheep or cows or just Scottish-green grass. Lots of frogs croak over the same amount of crickets. Two swan swim, unweathered, in the lake surrounded by lotus plants, not yet in bloom. The moon is like a bald man's half dome, sitting above the clouds. Clapping and singing accompanied by tabla and harmonium muffle through the trees.

This is the ashram of Mata Amritanandamayi, Amma, this night. We left around 11:00 am, and here I am writing a little more
than two hours later. The talk was missed tonight. Last week we got there at the same time and someone was still talking. The emphasis was on meditation, prayer, giving of thanks and feeling the swell of Spring in our hearts.

Absent, as I had thought would be, was the Gnome. Supposedly he started a job at a restaurant and has to work on Saturday nights now. Someone we know from Love of Ganesha previously was absent tonight, too. He probably is trying to make it with her. She never misses the Saturday ashram event. But I am merely an observer; what he does no longer concerns me. I wish him well but cannot be his friend. I must move on and try to meet other people. I am always the one who meets people but doesn't connect with any of them. Why do I have to go out with someone my age? At the ashram there are a few guys in my
age bracket, but I'm left cold by American guys unless they're dark in some way--the eyes or the hair or something. Also I think guys with shoulder-length hair should grow dreads. Especially guys over 40. I the guy is bald, he has to have attentive eyes. Mark and I are friends. He has attentive eyes. But he's only 26. I do like him as a person and consider him to be a good friend. He brought his artist friend from the nuthouse again tonight. I am very curious to see this man's art. He makes great claims to having retired at 25 or 26. I think Mark enjoys hearing stories from this person about art and what it was like when he
was Mark's age in the late '50's early '60's. He is harmless and sometimes funny. Laughter is about all that's left!

No comments: