Sunday, April 23, 2006

'The Four Hundred Blows' and auteur theory

I have left for myself tonight to work on a paper for my class in Film History. The topic I chose was how does auteur theory apply to the work of Truffaut and two of his films: 'The 400 Blows' and 'The WIld Child.' Both of these films have children in starring roles with Truffaut himself playing 'the doctor' in 'The Wild Child.' Auteur as doctor...as teacher...scientist?

This is helping me to start thinking in terms of how to write about film which can be narrative and Beckett-like. Truffaut watched thousands of films and was a film critic before he became a director, an auteur. He is such a perfectionist. Even his English in 'The Wild Child' is well-pronounced without the slightest accent of French. Supposedly he felt he had difficulty with English.

No comments: