Thursday, December 29, 2005

Angela Davis is important.

Yesterday I was sitting in a funky little hair salon in my neighborhood. The hairdryer is right near the window, and people passing by and driving by can see right in. I didn't realize that my reading material, Angela Davis: An Autobiography would catch anyone's attention.

About twenty minutes into the dryer thing, and someone called the salon. "Angela Davis? There's no Angela Davis in here," said the hairstylist who answered the phone and was working alone in the salon. She then saw the book I was reading. We talked for a brief moment about what happened--10 minutes later. It took us that long to realize that Angela Davis is that significant of a person that someone would respond to watching someone else reading her book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why people have blogs with comments turned off. When I see such a site, I usually ignore them, because the talk is one way, not listening to what others might want to say.