Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Rubens, or the Michelin people.

Now and ZenToday I went to U.C. Berkeley Art Museum to see the oil sketches of Peter Paul Rubens, the Flemish/Dutch/Spanish painter. If you live around here, it's a show to see. Go now.

It's always been difficult for me to discuss art. I was terrible in Art History classes. But I'm the person the guard has to tell to keep their hands away from the works because I get so excited in talking about technique. I paint, too. I love painting.

Rubens' work is highly regarded for its rendering of the human figure as musculature draped in skin with white highlights in all the light/right places. He studied Caravaggio in Italy. His compositions kind of show this. He mentored Velazquez in Spain.
He studied Michelangelo and Raphael in Italy.

His work isn't perfect in the way that Michelangelo's is. The faces of his figures are not interesting except in the family portrait. But his use of dark umber and darkness and light is so fascinating.

No comments: