Sunday, May 28, 2006

Thank you for not puking.

There was really not much to see this evening in San Francisco at its film theatres. Foreign Cinema had "La Dolce Vita" and I kind of wanted to "Evita" (for history's sake) at the Castro, but instead we went to see a ''funny movie": "Thank you for not Smoking." Perhaps I intuited that I'd have some nauseous feelings about the film just from it's title. Smoking makes me want to barf. The thought of it and all the ugly accoutrements to it prohiblit a fun viewing experience.

Nonetheless, there were some moments that were actually funny. It's so odd that films have that effect on movie-goers at the same time--but not really. I remember when I saw Monty Python's "Life of Brian" i laughed so hard throughout the film, practically. this film is full of wry humor but does have the fun laugh-out-loud, yay, now I'm having fun kind of humor--often enough.

I suppose it had its social commentary in tow. The anti-hero is a lobbyist for huge tobacco corporations. He is reprehensible figure, but he has this beach-bum-used-to-be sentiment. He's just another believer in the possible is probable and that terrorists are are the winners of the fear-of-the-mnnth club award.

No comments: