Thursday, May 11, 2006

All that film allows.

Tonight I had my History of Film post-1955 class. Last week we watched "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul" (1974) by Fassbinder. This film is related to the two films we saw tonight: "Far from Heaven: (2002) by Todd Haynes and "All that Heaven Allows" (1955) by Douglas Sirk. I was a bit annoyed by the fact that we had to see the 2002 film in its entirety instead of the 1955 one. I saw the trailers on television for the 2002 film and I knew I didn't want to see it. Then tonight I'm stuck watching in this class. What a bore! Sorry to anyone who feels strongly about "Far from Heaven." The film had two many holes in it for me to sit through, but I did sit through it with meditation and other positive calming techniques.

I'll write more about "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul" later. It was shot in just 14 days!! There is so much beauty to it without the reliance on technicolor symbolism. Its colors are authentic, untainted. It's day; it's night. It doesn't really matter, because the colors are untainted.

No comments: