Thursday, July 14, 2005

Bro Jud on Love Energy

Now and ZenBack in March I wrote about being a guest on the Bro Jud on Love Energy show on cable tv 29 here in San Francisco. I forgot to mention that I had worked all day, driven across town for an acupuncture treatment and wasted time away from home (a place called Bernal Heights) until I could be on the show where everyone arrive before 8:30 but videotaping doesn't begin until almost 10 pm. I have seen the dvd of the March show. I didn't realize that three large red pimple-ish areas on the right side of my nose/cheek were highly visible and that the person who was directing had my chair face the direction away from the camera almost at a profile angle so that my blotches could not be seen unless I turned my head 45 degrees to face the camera. I was thinner then, and I had my hair in pig tails and I didn't have bangs like I have now. Needless to say, I didn't bother to look in the mirror before the show and no one told me or commented on my blotchey face.

Tonight, before taping, Jud was combing his hoary beard and shoulder-length hair. He was wearing a black long-sleeved t-shirt. As he was combing, little bits of whitish bits of bits were falling on his shirt. No one told him his dandruff had completely covered his shirt. Because I wished someone had told me about my inattention to my appearance, I helped Jud swish the stuff off. Jud said, "There's always something, isn't there?" I could immediately ruminate on all my bodily flaws from too-thick hair to my un-sexy black socks with a black skirt. Yes, there's always something, I had to agree.

Then I thought about the fact that I'm supposed to be reading something about love energy on this show. People are supposed to be listening to what I read. Lately I've been reading Jud's writing, which, although not "bad," is sometimes murky and takes alot of smiling to carry off well. The director told me tonight that the special effects behind my head looked really good because I wasn't sitting right in the middle of the shot but was off to the side. I said that people have to have something visually interesting to look at since following the material that is read is sometimes a chore.

I used to read from books like The Creative Class and some of Amma's writings as well as poetry. I preferred stringing texts together so that the listener could concentrate on one or more of them and try to piece them together in their minds. But as time has gone on, the show has become, in Jud's head, a classroom or something. He goes off on tangents alot more and is less clear about what he's saying or who his audience is. However, people used to say, "What's this guy talking about? He's full of hot air."

Jud is over 83 years-old. He says he's losing his short-term memory. I have noticed this a little bit, but he is still able to get a 10-person crew together to do the show every month. And he has a "think tank" every Thursday to go over his ideas and to brainstorm. I haven't even mentioned his plan: to end poverty, to provide education to those who are unable to attend public schools due to many reasons, to help single mothers, veterans, people suffering from AIDS and people with physical and mental disabilities.

More on this later...

No comments: