Friday, December 03, 2004

The Incredibles

Will there be no more superheroes if everyone is one? Is there a God or some approximation of a Universal Spirit?

The Incredibles, a recent animated film, had me very skeptical about its intentions at first. The superheroes are banished from the city they had been defending against evil. They then live in a suburbia reminiscent of that in which The Flintstones
lived. Mr. Incredible's name is Bob Parr (a golfing reference?). He gets a job in the bowels of an insurance company where he gets every customer over the hurdles of corporate greed. He still is an Incredible.

Proving genetic theory, his offspring are also Incredibles. They each have there own supra-human talent. Even their baby is discovered to have hidden Incredible "powers."

What kind of bothered me about this film is the fact that the counter-hero states that he would like to be a superhero also. The Incredibles are not the only superheroes in this film. But, alas, he is not a superhero, really. And his statement: "Once everyone has become a superhero, there will be none" is the existential question I'm asking. Perhaps its Nietschzean...

The film is very cleverly done, and I'm glad I saw it. But it leaves me asking questions that I would appreciate some comments upon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear now,

I think you perhaps saw yourself in the counter hero position. Maybe there was someone you adored, and they scorned you, but you only wanted to be like them. Is this true? I read your poems, and they are very good. A bit short, but promising. If everyone became super, then no one is super. I guess this is like if everyone could write like Samuel Clemens, then no one could write too good, because once you raise the bar, we are always wanting for more. That is what makes us human.

Anonymous said...

I remember having a boyfriend who was born into an extremely wealthy family. First I scorned him and in the end he scorned me, and I do think that I wanted to be like him! Who wants to work?